January 3, 2004

Art

I try to give credit where credit is due, but it's hard in the rotating mastheads. I'm going to try and update this post whenever I change mastheads. Most of you access the site via RSS feeds anyway, but I still like being able to click the refresh button and see something new. Please note that I often had to crop or change the color balance to these photos so they would fit up at the top.

ANDERSON

Laurie Anderson is a popular performance artist married to Lou Reed. This is a snippet from a backdrop to one of her shows.

ROMERO

David Romero is a gay commerical artist from Southern California. This painting is from a series of portraits made at the moments of orgasm.

VIVANCO


Mariano Vivanco, photographer. He's the guy behind those dirty french rugby calendars.

BAUMANN

This is a play off of the cover art of my favorite book, Martin Bauman; Or A Sure Thing.

SCHIELE

Egon Schiele was a Austrian painter thought to be the sucessor to Klimt. This is from a self portrait.

EYES OF A CHILD

This is adapted from a painting by one of my favorite contemporary artists, Steve Walker.

MARCUS

From a NSFW photoseries by Mark Henderson, cropped conveniently.

GYLLENHAAL


Jake Gyllenhaal is the hottest man alive and he will soon be my boyfriend and we will have sex all of the time. These are pictures from Interview magazine. I don't know the name of the photographer.

CAT AND CANARY

This is a still from The Cat and the Canary, a silent horror film from 1922. It's a bit more violent and desperate than I'd like, but I still think it's a cool screencap.

BASSETT

From a photograph taken by Sam Bassett.

ALDRIDGE

I've posted this picture before, but not as a bannerhead. I don't recall which of the Aldridge team took this picture.

BERGER-MUHLFELD

Gotta love 'degenerate' art.

KESHISHAN


MARSDEN


I modified this photo of James Marsden from GQ magazine; Peggy Sirota photographer.

LOUNGING
A parody/homage to David Sedaris' Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

TIWIMUTA

Beat Bolliger in collaboration with Nathaniel Goldberg for TIWIMUTA Magazine (This Is What It Made Us Think About).

BRANDO

This is a picture of screen legend Marlon Brando in his prime. I'm not exactly sure of the context or the photographer.

EFF




Jay Eff, photographer.

PSYCHO

This is a modified still from "Psycho."

FREEMAG

Stephen Kroeger photographed for Free Mag fashion editorial. I'm not sure of the photographer.

LACORTE

Alex LaCorte photographing Parker Hurley, found via queerty.

MAN'S TOUCH

I don't remember where this picture came from, though I labelled it "Man's Touch"

JAMES




Ethan James, photography.

EXTERFACE



Exterface are two 24-year-old French artists, Julien and Stéphane, who take sensual photographs, usually of the male form.

TAHAN

Elias Tahan is a young professional photographer in LA.

RICKDAY



Charles Devoe photographed by Rick Day for Level magazine.

DIDIO



Guilherme Sanchez, model, shot by Didio.

KELLY



The hot nerd was photographed by Kristopher Kelly.

SUFJAN




Adorkable darling of the indie-music scene, Sufjan Stevens.

STOCKINGS

A cropped photo from an Alex Prinze spread from DNA Magazine, shot by Dean Stockings.

JOHNSEN

From Acid in the Ice Cream, a series by Zach Johnsen.

SONNET

This banner is taken from a piece of art by seekyle draw entitled "sonnet." You can purchase the original, if you are so interested, or check out some of his other stuff.

SECRETS


I asked Secret Simon to design a masthead or two for me, and these are what he came up with. Aren't they wonderful?

PEYTON

Elizabeth Peyton is a popular British artist known for drawing fey pop stars. I sort of looked like this portrait when I started the blog, but after I got a haircut and lost my large blue sunglasses, it doesn't fit quite so well. I can't find another painting that is as good a likeness, and I don't want to show a picture of myself, so you're stuck.

Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.