January 19, 2004

a brief intro

I stole this from him, who found it here, I'm assuming.

1. I was born in a small town in Wisconsin. Houdini once said his greatest escape was from my hometown. I agree with him on that.
2. My birth year is none of your buisness; if you really want to know, I am a rat, a wood rat to be specific, which means my relationships are unstable, I'm motivated by diligence and I am not very conventional.
3. I'm a Leo, and a 9, if you're interested in astrology and numerology.
4. My dad audits credit unions, and my mom is a childrens librarian.
5. I have two younger sisters and no brothers.
6. I currently live in Stevens Point, where I attend school.
7. I hate it here with a passion, and cannot think of a worst place for anyone with a brain to be. I can feel myself becoming more and more stupid the more time I spend here. (Proof: I almost wrote 'stupider and stupider,' and I don't think that 'stupider' is a word.)
8. I don't have a job at the moment, but this afternoon I am to pick up applications from the student employment offices, hopefully from the library or something else along those lines.
9. I’m 6'1", 145 pounds. Despite those stats, I have terrible body issues, to the point where I consider myself 'chubby'. Don't try dissuading me. I'm not thin, I just carry myself well.
10. I’ve never broken a bone in my life.
11. I did sprain my ankle once. I fell off of one of the tall slides at a local park and subsequently felt like an idiot for the duration of my time of crutches. I was old enough to know better, but fortunately it was during the summer, so I didn't have to bum around on crutches at school. My elementary school celebrated its 100th year when I was in second grade, and was not very handicapped-friendly.
12. I used to do sports a lot as a child, although I soon grew too smart to enjoy myself. Once, while playing T-Ball during first/second grade, during a devastating blowout, I was the only one who knew that our team was on the losing end; all of my teammates had to ask their parents excitedly for the score, while I knew that we were losing by 12 by the 4th inning, and berated my teammates.
13. I can be very competitive, so I don't play sports very often.
14. I haven't really done a whole lot of sports, but I don't think I'm that bad. I was one of the few students able to kick the ball over the fence during kickball, and for a brief time during 5th and 6th grade, I was the best tight end around.
15. Any mention on how I am still the best tight end will promptly be ignored.
16. My major in college -English, with a minor in creative writing.
17. Once I graduate, I hope to either edit or write for a living. It's what I do best, I think.
18. I don't want to work 9-5. I'd either like to work more or less. I'd like to overachieve or slack off. 9-5 is too cliche, in my opinion.
19. I have a few friends who harp on me to become a professional poet, but I'd hate to spend the rest of my life teaching workshops, listening to crappy poems that rhyme 'love' with 'above' or anything with a nature metaphor.
20. I don't enjoy myself when I'm single.
21. I went clubbing the night before the ACTs, and as a result, got only a 26. It isn't a bad score, but to be perfectly modest, I'm a fucking genius who should scored in the 30s.
22. I hate hate hate going to university here, and all of my classes grade on attendance, so I rarely skip, except for medical reaons.
23. I've never studied for a test in my life, at least not to my recollection.
24. I was a boy scout once, but the group fizzled out in 5th grade.
25. I have been in a couple accidents, the first one a doozy.
26. A doozy qualifies as losing control of my vehicle, rolling over two lanes of oncoming highway traffic (during rush hour, no less), landing upside down in a ditch, car enflamed. That was a fun 18th birthday.
27. I hate emoticons, and I don't like it when people use them in conversations with me.
28. I can't bring myself to have casual sex...
29. ...I don't know whether this is a positive or negative.
30. I have been in love, the birds singing in your ear, lovely-dovey, obnoxiously cute sort of way, exactly once.
31. A friend of mine coined the term 'sugar and candy,' after reading something in an earlier blog of mine. She said that we were the sweetest thing ever. I said that it makes most people vomit, and she replied "vomit sugar and candy!!" The phrase stuck.
32. The relationship lasted about 6 months, some of which long distance.
33. I still can't get over him.
34. I was diagnosed with asthma as a child, but I think I outgrew it. Supposedly I'm allergic to cat and dog hair, but I've never had a problem.
35. I want to be married. I can't explain why, but I want to.
36. I've only been to a few concerts in my life: Garbage, Tori and a couple of Ani concerts. I've gone to minor concerts, local hardxcore and punk shows, classical concerts, and the like, but nothing all that major.
37. I don't really like Tori Amos, but I went to the concert to appease a friend (with whom I later severed all ties).
38. Toriphiles are the scariest people in the world.
39. I don't like my family, and I don't like to talk about them.
40. In real life, I appear to be deep, intelligent and authentic. I don't think anyone knows better
41. I assume everyone knows I like boys. I'm not effiminate. Few people ask me if I'm gay, and those that do are surprised by my response.
42. My dad is quite possibly my least favorite person on earth.
43. I'm probably doing this whole 100 questions thing wrong, because I'm not sure what the questions are; I only have the answers
44. I love meat, but I've been a vegetarian since 9th grade, save for the time I spend in Russia. I love brats, chicken tenders, sausage links, and pepperoni.
45. I can cook. I just don't.
46. I read voraciously, and my plethoric vocabulary makes that evident.
47. I don't work out, but they just set up an exercise room in the dorm basemet, so I might have to check that out.
48. I get annoyed with people who need to be told things more than once. I'm extremely impatient.
49. I don't enjoy the taste of alcohol. If the taste is masked, I might have some, but not much.
50. I'm too much of a control freak to ever get drunk.
51. I don't drink coffee, but I drink tea on occasion
52. Actually, at a cofee shop near my house, they serve gimmicked flavored coffee that is pretty damn good. I like the Franz Kafka-- dark and white chocolate coffee, because Kafka represented both sides of the human experience, or some other hokey reason like that.
53. I am a baptized Unitarian-Universalist. We don't call it a baptism, though, we call it a dedication, and we include elements of fire (a candle), earth (a flower), and other new-agey stuff..
54. I am innately good at remembering lyrics to obscure songs
55. I get bored with things before the rest of society.
56. Innocence bores me.
57. My humour is mostly based on wit.
58. Sometimes I laugh when I'm saying something witty, and it ruins the moment.
59. People tell me that I am an elitist. I think that it's pretty damn apparent.
60. I really enjoy playing with other people's hair, especially when flirting..
61. I've dyed my hair since I was in 7th grade, usually different shades of red. Otherwise, my hair is dark, nearly black.
62. I want to eventually leave my grey in. I think it can look sexy, but I don't think about being old yet.
63. All of my classes are in one building, and my dorm is the closest possible. The only way my commute could be less would be if I lived on the first floor.
64. I want to live a city, someplace big where I am not the only artistic thing for miles around. Not like New York big, though.
65. I don't like the other guys who live in the dorm. Last night, a fair amount of them gathered across the hall for drunken karaoke, and sang repeatedly the word 'vaginal discharge' to the tune of "American Women." I use 'tune' in the loosest sense of the word possible. They then continued destroying other songs, but I found my headphones by that point.
66. I've already said that I don't like my family, so I'm not answering this question.
67. This question is blank, so I don't know what to put here.
68. The other guys in the dorm think I'm boring, since I spend all my time in my room. I suppose that's the truth.
69. I don’t have any piercings or tattoos. I don't want to be branded
71. I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do, they're usually pretty messed up.
72. The best part about living in the dorms is the high speed connection, even though there's a firewall so I can't download music. My school was featured in Salon.com for its efforts to curb illegal song downloads. Yet another reason why I hate it here.
73. I am an information junkie. I read/surf too much, especially too much liberal media and blogs for people whom I'll never meet.
74. I have an obnoxiously eclectic taste in music. I tend to like obscure stuff, but that's because I get bored with things easily, as previously stated. I love to rock out, as my position as the Headmister of the Fox Institute for Rock Studies clearly demostrates.
75. It's a long story.
76. My best friend is now a waitress in a cocktail bar in Milwaukee, and looks like shit because her boyfriend is a terrible, terrible person, but she won't listen to me at how scared I am about her condition.
77. In junior high school, the popular clique of girls all had a crush on me, which elevated me to one of the most popular people in school, and since then I've always acted like a popular guy, even when I'm not.
78. I went to an Arts high school, and my best friend (the aforementioned cocktail waitress) and I were able to take over and teach some classes because we were so organized and intimidating, and the teachers weren't.
79. I don't think I'm goodlooking in any way
80. I think most of my friends think that I'm smart.
81. I don't do amusement parks. I get my kicks above the waistline, thank you very much
82. I watch far too much television
83. This is the 3rd personal website/blog in which I've written so far this year, and it's not even February. Pathetic, no?
84. Did you know that pathetic technically means arousing sympathy, not pitiful, even though most people use it in the pitiful sense of the word?
85. I want to be a rock star when I grow up
86. I also want to be an artist.
87. I've never puked from drinking too much, because I've ever drank enough to get drunk.
88. I was on tv at age 7, and I asked a television reporter a joke at a 'Breakfast on the Farm' fundraiser of some sort. The cow went to the moo-seum, as it turns out.
89. I want to go back to London a lot.
90. I'm still not over him, so I don't really have a crush at the moment.
91. For his next movie, Ang Lee is trying to sign Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as gay cowboys in love. How hot is that?
92. I have a photoshopped photo of Heath and Jake dressed as cowboys as my desktop, with Heath's arm around Jake's shoulders. I stole the photo from an article in salon.com
93. I'm not sure that I believe in soul mates anymore.
94. I am addicted to blogging.
95. I make some witty comments, hopefully. I don't know what this question is asking.
96. I really need to get better at calling/e-mailing people back. I tend to lose track of people easily.
97. I love to eat breakfast food at any time of the day.
98. I need someone to cuddle up with. I don't have anyone at the moment.
99. I get very annoyed with people who can't form coherent statements, and can't recognize an allusion if it bit them on the ass.
100. Making this list was tough because I didn't have the questions, I only had the answers, and I probably did it wrong. Oh well. And it took a long time, and it looks like I've missed lunch as a result. No biggie. I'm fat enough as it is.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.