April 12, 2004

Let Godot Wait.

This weekend, in all my naked glory (or lack thereof), slightly inspired by that quote, I decided to write a little play. It's only a one-act entitled "Let Godot Wait," and it's pure Theatre of the Absurd: no names, no characterization, nothing. I call it lazy, and it's not that great, even. Here's the first few lines--

One: (sighs)
Two: (storming in) I hate my life and want to die!
One: So do I!
Two: Yeah, but you mean it.
One: You say that as if it were a bad thing
Two: I'm just saying that you should mean what you say
One: How positively earnest of you.
Two: Who do you think you are, Oscar Wilde?
One: What are you saying?
Two: If the green carnation fits….
One: First I'll have to find a green carnation, won't I?
Two: Or you could wait and let the green carnation come to you
One: What is that, Taoism?
Two: Good things come to those who wait
One: Better things come to those who don't resort to platitudes
Two: Platitudes become platitudes because of their inherent truth
One: Platitudes become platitudes because of lazy orators
Two: Are you calling me lazy?
One: If that shoe fits.

Yeah, I need a life. Or some talent. Or something.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.