May 10, 2005

He's a lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed.

Sartre wrote that hell is other people. Dante's hell was a frozen spiral. The Greeks and Romans thought that the afterlife wasn't much different that this world. Latter-day Saints believe in a permament eternal emptiness for sinners. The Bible speaks of lakes, rivers, and pits of fire and darkness. Japanese and Chinese versions of hell include intricate politicking.

I don't know if this morning's final counts as hell, but it sure wasn't fun.

There are few things that I should have to think about at 7:45 in the morning. Other than hitting the snooze button, I shouldn't have to do anything that early.

But no. I had a final this morning, as the sun was rising. To make matters worse, the final was on the top of a hill on the other side of campus. I had to leave at 7:15, which meant I had to get up at 6:45. There are days I go to BED at 6 in the morning. It fucking sucked.

There is no reason to write an essay proving or disproving Heidegger using Restoration Comedies, especially before 8 in the morning. Hell, I'm barely able to pronouce Heidegger before noon, let alone think critically about his theory of external tools serving as extensions of the self and how it evokes a self-conscious examination of the failings of the human body.

We all know Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table, and that goes double at 7:45 in the morning.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.