July 6, 2005

Listmania.

Carly Simon doesn't write her own lyrics.

Well, I suppose she does. I remember watching some VH1 countdown years ago, the 100 Greatest Girls with Pianos and Long Hair from the 70s or something, and she mentioned that she travels with a little notebook and pen, writing down the interesting lines from her conversations. Most of her choruses, her best lines, are taken from her friends. Someone else came up with "you walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht."

I have no idea why I'm talking about Carly Simon.

My point is that I've been trying to keep a handheld notebook in my back pocket for the past few days, writing down lines and things that come to mind, story ideas or whatever. Since I haven't been feeling very creative lately, and when I have been feeling creative, my sister is writing in her crappy, crappy blog or my mom is checking her email or my dad is listening to some conservative blowhard on internet radio, and I haven't had a chance to make anything come of it. It's mostly devolved into a list of books I should see if the library has. But since I'm at a loss of words at the moment, I figured I should post something.

I started writing a post, but it came off too whiny, and really, I can sum it up in five words. I feel like a Tenenbaum.

royal t
You are Margot... Deep, Brooding, Depressed. Black
eyeliner abound. You take many lovers but are
still hoping for the day when it will be
politically correct for you to marry your
brother. You also have a wooden finger. Good
for you!!
Which Tenenbaum are you?


Anyway... list! With links!

Nouvelle Vague
Millard Fillmore, Mon Amour
holdthattiger.com
Sibelius
motocross jacket
Nelson De La Nuez
With the voice in my heart, I sang out like a shotgun
Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams
Hawksley Workman
the evening is spread out against the sky like a patient etherized upon a table.
The Decemberists
Angels in America
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.