June 15, 2009

Two Short Thoughts About Last Weekend

1. Last night, the boyfriend and I were up at 11:45 PM with a case of cabin fever, and we decided to hit the new 24-hour Wal-Mart that opened a few months ago. Neither of us had been there yet, since we're both good Wal-Mart hating liberals, but there's not a whole lot to do that late on a Sunday, and he needed kitty litter.

We decided to turn it into a game, and bet on how many young children (under the age of 5 or so) would be up way past their bedtime running around Wal-Mart with their (bad) parents. Initials guessed 4, and I guessed 10.

We counted 12 kids at Wal-Mart at midnight. Despite the joy of winning the bet, it was still depressing.
2. All weekend I've been fascinated by the attempted Iranian coup d'état, and how all this new-fangled technology has revolutionized the way I get information.

IRAN: A Nation Of Bloggers from ayrakus on Vimeo.

I'm impressed by all of the grassroots activism by students, young people, and bloggers as they fight for their freedoms, and I feel slightly ashamed because if I were in their position, I would want to go out and fight but I would probably be too chickenshit. I hope I wouldn't be, and I hope I never have to find out, but my track record for political activism could (and should) be better.

As a side note, all of the coverage and updates has given me a newfound respect for twitter, and I am this close to considering starting one for myself.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.