July 2, 2009

"Philip Roth featured on 'booty-shaking' dance track"

(NSFWish)

The title of that article scared me but it was intriguing enough to make me click through. It sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

It's being billed as the "the ringtone of choice among hip literary types this summer," which I don't buy for a second.

I listened to the track, and I was able to dismiss it with a wave of the hand, like a drag queen brushing aside an uppity amateur on Halloween. I mean, it's bad. And unnecessary.

The only good part is that the publisher is quoted as always being on alert for booty-shaking literary artifacts.

Which, of course, is a great segue way to my semi-regular series of photoshopping books I've recently read over the dirty parts of men I'd like to sleep with.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith


A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi


Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout


Kitchen by Banana Yoshimo


Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith


Q & A by Vikas Swarup


A Short History of Ukrainian Tractors by Marina Lewycha
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.