July 30, 2009

Reading in the Tub

(NSFWish)

I don't really "do" facebook. I have an account, but I haven't logged into it in months, and haven't updated the photos or information since my sophomore year of college. Maybe my junior year. But still.

The account still exists mostly because my roommate from two years ago wanted to keep track of her ex-boyfriend surreptitiously, and I never used the account anyway. As far as I can tell, it's mostly a hub of quotes that were considered funny while intoxicated, images found elsewhere on the web, and twitter-esque obsessions with letting everyone know what's going on this. very. second.

I suppose I can see the appeal of finding out an ex-boyfriend has gotten fat, or the guy who made fun of you in high school now works for a local heating/air conditioning supply store. But that's a lot of effort to find out gossip about people you don't really care about anymore.

All over the literary blogs in my RSS feed for the past day or two has been the facebook group People for a Library-Based Ben & Jerry's Flavor, with various suggestions like Gooey Decimal System, Cookie Bookie, and Reference Ripple.

And I didn't really care too much until I realized something--I like ice cream and I like libraries and I bet I can use this facebook group as an awkward segue for my habit of posting naked pictures of attractive men using books I've recently read and enjoyed to cover up the good parts.

Pinball Theory of the Apocalypse by Jonathan Selwood


The Martian Child by David Gerrold


The Lost City of Z by David Grann


Faggots by Larry Kramer


If Minds Had Toes by Lucy Eyre


An Equal Music by Vikram Seth


On a related note, I used to read in the tub all of the time. Growing up, we didn't have a shower, only a bathtub--my childhood home is over 100 years old, and the way the bathroom was situated, to stand up in the bathtub would have required knocking out the wall, expanding the roof, and all types of financial difficulties. And so we always took baths.

Since I was never a dirty kid, I would use that time to read in the tub. It was fantastic, and I'm kind of disappointed that my last few apartments have only had standing showers and I'm unable to take bubble baths and read after a long day's work. Alas.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.