September 4, 2009

Dessert Before Lunch?

Yesterday I had lunch with a friend, and on my way I walked past my old apartment. My old apartment was cheap and in the heart of downtown, but it was not a particularly nice apartment, certainly not someplace I thought of as 'home.' I'm not sure if I think that our new place is 'home' yet either, but at least there's potential. Slowly but surely, we're still getting out and exploring our new neighborhood, with mostly positive results.

My main gripe at the moment is that there were shirtless guys running everywhere on my walk to the restaurant. I mean, everywhere. It was like some sort of bizarro Animal Planet commercial, with herds of buff, hairless twenty-somethings in gym shorts stampeding through the cement savannah. In small groups of twos, threes and fours, and even better, virtually no women cluttering up the scenery with their sports bras, high pony-tails, and grey spandex shorts. Every time I turned my head there was someone else to ogle, almost too much to keep up with. It was fantastic.

Which made life so much harder after lunch while walking back to the new apartment. The only guy I saw was a fully clothed old black man riding a bicycle incredibly slowly up the hill, so slowly I'm surprised he was able to stay vertical.

On a somewhat-related note, whatever happened to chest hair? I know I can't trust everything thing I read on the internet, but according to wikipedia only 6 percent of white men have naturally smooth chests, and everyone else should have some sort of growth. I'm not saying I wish for a nation of Burt Reynolds and Robin Williams, but come on.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.