October 29, 2009

Dear Noah and the Whale,



When I found out you guys were playing a show in town, I got excited, and when I found out tickets were $10, I picked them up more or less right away.

Imagine my disappointment in finding out that you are no longer the band I want you to be. No longer are you the effervescent band that would sound right in place in a compilation of twee British anti-folk music that wasn't featured on the Juno soundtrack because it doesn't grate on you as much over time.

Now, you sound like a cover band specializing in Wilco b-sides.

And everyone in the audience felt it. The boyfriend and I were sitting in the balcony, and even we could tell that by the third or fourth song, everyone was mentally rolling their eyes to the back of their head and muttering "I get it. You were just dumped and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a great album. But come on."

In the future, please watch some 30 Rock or something before performing, because I think that if you guys are in a good mood before you perform and not try to cop the 'tortured genius artiste' personae, the audience is going to be most appreciative.

Love,
Bob
(the ridiculous raw youth)
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.