April 28, 2004

next to of course god america i

"next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?"

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water


I'm up late and can't seem to get to sleep. I don't know what's causing this anxiety that's triggering the insomnia, but it's getting on my nerves, since I have a test tomorrow. I'm not worried about the test; it's just an in-class essay on a William Carlos Williams story. The symbolism is really blatant (technology vs. humanity), and that's the only thing that the professor cares about.

Anyways, since I can't sleep and the roommate is gone, I started alternating between news and informericals (nothing else is on), and noticed the similarities. I usually don't associate poetry when watching TV, but for some reason this little sonnet from Cummings popped into my head, and since it's National Poetry Month, I've posted it.

I am such an English major.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.