June 9, 2004

Props to the 'rents.

It's my parents' 25th anniversary today. Snaps to them, I guess.

Since I am a poor college student, I didn't make with the bling-bling. (25 years is Silver, just so you know.) I suppose I could have worked something out with my sisters, but I didn't.

My gift isn't going to matter in the long run anyway.

My grandma recently got married to a man I abhor. When they got married, she sold her house and moved in with him, and as a result, she's become a bit more conservative and slightly loaded. Ok, more than slightly loaded. She's so happy that they made it to 25 years that she's taking them on a Caribbean cruise.

"It's just so happy to see that people still preserve the sanctity of marriage, we wanted to reward that."

I'm happy for them. This will be the first time my Mom has flown in over twenty years, and the first time either of them has left the country. They leave on Sunday, and they're all aflutter, shopping for new outfits and packing.

The only downside to this trip is that my grandparents are accompanying them. The guy my grandma married is the most conservative man I've ever met. My grandma had your standard elderly conservatism going on, but he took her to a whole new level. He is extremely religious and patriotic, and he served in WWII. That's not a fault, but when he scheduled a meeting with my local recruiter for a birthday present, well, that's when the vitriol hits the fan.

As nice as it would be to go on a cruise, I don't envy my parents one bit. I mean, I wouldn't want to go on a cruise with my parents (but then again, a gay cruise is a whole other ballgame).

But I did my best for a gift: two kickass seats to see The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged), which is one of my dad's favorites. Hopefully it'll take his mind off of spending a week and a half with a man who says a prayer before having a tic-tac.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.