June 10, 2004

Two quick things:

1. Two posts ago, right before that crappy poem, I mentioned that my grandfather, whom I abhor, scheduled a meeting for me with the local recruitment office for my birthday last year. To be fair, I exaggerated a bit. He gave me his card, said that he knew the guy and that he was going to call me that week to schedule a meeting. Fortunately, I was out of the house at the time (I think I was on a date, which may or may not make the story more interesting) and whoops! I 'accidentally' deleted the message from the machine when I got home, though I kind of wish I had gone to the meeting, just because it would make for a great story: to see how many overtly nelly things I could say before he cocked an eyebrow and said that he had a meeting he forgot about or whatever. The guy didn't call back, and the next time I saw my grandfather, I changed the subject quickly.

I have a step-cousin (whom I've met once) who apparently took my grandfather seriously and met with the recruitment agent. He was an army brat though, and I think he would have enlisted without my grandfather's help. Unfortunately, he didn't make it past boot camp. He was sent home after two weeks because he became uncontrollably sick due to food allergies. Instead of, you know, giving him medicine or finding other food for him to eat, he was forced to do push-ups until he passed out. After that happened 4 or 5 times, he got a honorable discharge and was sent to the hospital where he was finally treated. The sergeant or lieutenant or whatever ended up getting in a lot of trouble for seriously endangering his life. Since then, there's been no talk of me enlisting, thank goodness.


2. Chrisafer is my new favorite person in the history of ever, for the gorgeous imagery in this post:

(Complaining about The Day After Tomorrow.) To be fair, I haven't seen it yet, but I think the movie would have been much more interesting if it were a sudden heatwave instead of an instant ice age. "Quick, Jake, get naked and pour this bucket of ice cold water on yourself. Here, let me run ice cubes up and down your chest."
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.