October 18, 2004

Saturday Night

I grew up doing community theatre; I've been in more than my fair share of musicals. I was in about one hundred plays or musicals by the time I graduated from high school, which doesn't include the times I assistant directed, worked sound, worked backstage, or was stage manager. One summer, I was in four plays, and that's just during the summer. I even helped teach a class on Vocal Projection for a College-for-Kids summer school program.

I now have a voice that can fill a room without effort. It's not a loud or booming voice, but it carries well. If I have no problem filling an auditorium or theatre, a standard room is nothing. Even if I answer a class from the back of the lecture hall, I'm not asked to repeat the question so the entire class can hear me.

I say this because, at the Michael Moore rally on campus Saturday night, he did an impression of Bush where he voiced the fear that the "chicks and faggots are taking over the world," I gave a slightly-facetious "Snap! You go, gurl!" which carried through the crowd, above the cheering voices of hundreds of college students and caused a lot more stares than I would have liked.

Even though I was pretty close to the stage, I couldn't tell if Michael Moore heard me or not due to a speaker directly blocking his face, but there's a chance he heard me. He laughed at other jokes he made, but this time there was more of a delayed reaction before he began to laugh like a bowl full of jelly. But there's a chance, and I still feel really stupid.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.