January 10, 2005

Yet Another Saturday Night Recap.

I've complained before about my lack of gay friends, and how I missed them.

Then I remembered that I never had any gay friends in high school; they were all either too flamboyant for my tastes, or were closeted and afraid to be seen with me.
I went to a performing arts school. I grew up doing musical theatre, taking art classes, singing in choirs, going to poetry slams, and other artsy fartsy stuff. That's what I miss. I miss hanging out with pseudo-artists. My problem is collegiate hoi polloi.

For example, most Saturday nights in the dorm involve some sort of drinking game, and continue with the hijinx that naturaly ensue with drinking large quantites of cheap beer in a short amount of time. I mean, we're college students who go to a school known for its partying.

This Saturday night, I hung out with my friend Anna, who goes to a small liberal arts school in my hometown that is known for its musical prodigies.

Saturday nights with my friend Anna and her friends involve drinking a bottle of port, rocking out to Shostakovich, getting subs at 2 in the morning and critiquing the architecture on the way, and discussing the religious undertones of Leiber's philosophy. (I don't know how to spell his name so I can't link to it, but basically he said that there exist billions of theoretical parellel universes, and God chose the best of all possible worlds).

It was such a beautiful thing. I don't know if it's because alcohol wasn't the dominant drive behind the night's proceedings, or if it's because everyone is a BFA in music and they're just inherently different people, or if it's that they're all sort of hippies, or if I just caught them on a good night, but I had more fun on Saturday night than I ever had at school.

If it weren't for the proximity, I don't think I'd be friends with anyone at school. Sure, I like them at all, but I don't really fit in there like I do with my friend Anna and her friends. I'm sure that getting out there and broadening my horizons is fine and dandy, but sometimes it's nice to get back to my roots.


Speaking of roots, I dyed my hair the other week. It was a bright shade of orange for a while there, but it's settled into something more natural now.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.