June 15, 2005

'O' is for Outrage

I fully realize that I'm not as political as I could should be. I'm not as political as I used to be. I used to go out and picket, I've protested the war, boycotted companies, written angry letters, pestered my Congressman, I've done all that sort of stuff. Now, not so much. I blame Bush.

I wonder if that was actual strategy, if Karl Rove decided to just go hog-wild and fuck everything up. Social Security? Fucked. Education? Fucked. War? Fucked. Cost of Oil? Fucked. Equal rights for gays? Fucked. Environment? Fucked.

I remember reading an article in the Onion about outrage fatigue. There's just so much to be outraged about, but with so many outraged people, there's no focus. Any attempts just seem futile, and while it's easy to spout hatred, every organization that is trying to combat the ignorance and idiocy of the Bush administration is struggling.

There's just too much to fight. It's hard to pick just one cause and do anything about it. Bush and other high-ranking officials should have been impeached dozens of times, for scores of reasons, but it's just not happening. There's no one cause that sticks, and proves the Republicans are evil.

Until now.

Motherfuckers are messing with Sesame Street.

A House panel has voted to eliminate all public funding for NPR and PBS, starting with "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," and other commercial-free children's shows. If approved, this would be the most severe cut in the history of public broadcasting, threatening to pull the plug on Big Bird, Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch.



Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is allowed to fuck with Sesame Street. It's like Oprah. apple pie, or 'freedom'. You fuck with them, and heads are going to roll. Republicans are always complaining about decency and morals, so what do they do? They decide to cut the most wholesome entertainment in the history of the world.

I really hope this is the thing that makes middle America take note. Suburban housewives are going to look up while listening to CNN while they make lunches for their kids and wonder why they voted for such a douche.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.