April 7, 2008

Boning at Bach

So I was eye-fucking this guy at the Goldberg Variations concert we went to yesterday. He looked kind of like one of the Joshes, but I'm not really sure which Josh is which. He didn't look exactly the same; he was a little older, maybe late twenties, had a slightly rounder face and a hairline which kind of receded on the sides but kept the bulk on the top and middle.

Initials didn't mind, even though he was sitting next to me and I was not being subtle about it, since he was noticing the Josh look-a-like's date, who was attractive in a dark-haired politician-type with glasses sort of way. His guy was wearing a red and white checkered shirt which looked pink from a distance, while the guy I had a mutual checking-out thing going on with was wearing a green shirt and a blazer.

The four of us were, by far, the only bone-able people at the concert. I guess 250 year old Bach concerts played on refurbished period harpsichords don't draw in the cuties like the Jens Lekman concert. We four were the only people under the age of 40, and of 10 who were under the age of 60. It was a sea of short cropped white haired ladies and balding pear-shaped men wearing suspenders, purple dresses and ugly broaches and inadvertent gas.

The couple and I were bored out of our minds. I'm a fan of the Gould recordings, but I can only listen to one song, maybe two, on a harpsichord while still being polite. I did my best, which was better than the cute couple, who stretched, yawned, fiddled with their fingers, twisted their necks, cracked their backs, and tapped their feet arrhythmically. Occasionally, my guy would look over, and we'd make eye contact, and then he'd get suddenly distracted by his program. Initials' never made eye contact with his guy, but I saw them whispering in a 'don't look now but...' sort of way.

During intermission they stayed in their seats in the middle of the row, and so while Initials and I had every intention of 'accidentally' bumping into them in the lobby and making small talk and maybe exchanging some phone numbers, maybe ditching the second half of the program, but it didn't happen. It would have been too awkward meandering down the row of old people to introduce ourselves.

They were church benches. They were uncomfortable as fuck. My guy would still crane his neck to glance at us while we stood in the back and waited for the second half of the program to start. I probably would have cut out during intermission if it were up to me, but Initials is the son of two music teachers, and his sister is a music history teacher, and so we stayed. I'm surprised the cute couple didn't leave, but they stayed put.

The second half started, and the pianst started making more mistakes. According to Initials who can apparently tell about these things, his right pinky got lazy. I don't know. Even the old people were starting to yawn and daze off a bit. It was a matinee, so at that point they were probably mad at missing the early bird specials.

I stopped paying as much attention in the second half to our cute boys, and started daydreaming. What's worse, is that I started daydreaming about meeting up with them and then blogging about it. I'm a loser.

The concert finally ended, and there was a standing ovation. Not because he deserved it, but because it's a small city and it's culture and everything gets a standing ovation, it seems.

The couple booked it as the applause died down. They weren't quite running, but they were taller than they looked while sitting, and they were making full use of their long strides. Zoom zoom. I told Initials that we HAD to book it. I didn't daydream about the blog post I was going to write for nothing, about how much information I would give you guys, how coy to play it, depending on what happened. I mean, Initials and I have had three threesomes since the last I mentioned it, but I haven't blogged about it yet because I'm a gentleman.

They split to the left as they left the building and the path diverged, and we were parked down to the right. Goddamnit.

As they made their way, the guy in the green shirt turned around and blew a kiss at us, and then wrapped his arm around his boyfriend's shoulder, and then they slowly disappeared while walking down the hill.

It ended like a bad movie, with them walking off into the sunset and Initials and me staring after them. It was all buildup with no release. How rude.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.