January 26, 2009

Year of the Rat

I hide in closets, in alleys,
In cheap bars and seedy hotels
You know where to find me
But you know better than to look.

Be warned. I adapt easily.
I slink when your head is turned
I breach into your home.
Quickly I become family.

If you gave me a chance
I would charm you, dissuade you,
I can have an appealing demeanor.
I am quick-witted and sharp-tongued.

Tenacious, keen, unapologetic,
I may border on tactless sometimes,
But in my heart I am golden.
You might even grow to love me

As long as you did not know my secrets.
You will grow used to me, accept me
But still I will keep to my own.
You may like me, but you hate my kind,

The villain in handed-down stories
Think we are swarming with disease
But you cannot stop us.
We do not accept defeat.

Now we know your secrets.
You think you do good when you betray us.
You have a history of keeping us down,
Destroying our lives, trapping us in lies.

We have been wounded in the past
And now it is our turn to shine.
Our only flaw is determination.
Cool and reserved, Machiavellian

We will lead, and we will pioneer,
Slowly we emerge, we conqueror.
You may only see one, but we are many.
We have an agenda and we are sticking to it.


Note: I haven't been writing much poetry lately. This is a recent attempt, though not very successful for two reasons. One, it tries too hard, and two, it reminds me of Sylvia Plath's Mushrooms. But whatever. It's kind of topical and it's better than anything you could write.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.