April 7, 2009

I Voted Sticker

I've voted before, but I've never gotten a sticker. Today was the first time I actually got a sticker. It's not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be.

I remember as a kid tagging along with my parents as they voted and being envious of that sticker. There seemed to be more specials and financial incentives for them; I don't know if it's because I'm in a bigger city or because it's now the jaded 21st Century. There were all sorts of restaurants and stores offering free coffee, doughnuts, ice cream, etc, just for showing that little sticker on your jacket's lapel.

It's not a big-ticket voting day, which may be another reason why I'm unaware of any swag. It's hard to get worked up about the State Superintendent, District Alderperson, and County Executive. Which should be all the more reason for stores to offer free stuff, to encourage people to the polls.

Oh well. At least I voted.

I'll probably end up going out drinking tonight anyway to treat myself for being such a good citizen.
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.