October 21, 2009

Beware of the Book



The boyfriend and I went to a dinner party last night where we made our own spring rolls (which was much easier than we thought it would be) and the guy from the couple we didn't know was incredibly cute.

The first time I saw him, instantly I had him pegged and I could hardly wait until we got into the car to describe him in a forced quip: he looked like the kind of guy who used to masturbate on vintage sean cody, before they went hi-def, back when it was more about corn-fed earnestness and embarassed smiles than ab definition and a lack of tan lines. Oh, how I would have hit that.

And speaking of hitting that, it's about time for one of my posts featuring gratuitous man flesh with all of the good parts covered with the dust jackets of books I've recently read and would recommend. Consider yourself warned about the work-safety of the rest of this post--above graphic via book bench.

Sunnyside by Glen David Gold


Pyongyang by Guy Delisle


Zeitoun by Dave Eggers


Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel


The Clinton Years by Taylor Branch


The Humbling by Philip Roth


Provenance by Laney Salisbury and Aly Sujo
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.