March 14, 2005

SEE YOU SPACE COWGIRL,
SOMETIME, SOMEWHERE...

One of my best friends from high school died this weekend.
Three teenagers were killed Friday night when the car they were in went out of control on a snow-covered highway in Waushara County and collided head-on with another vehicle.
This comes from a small town newspaper, and so the facts aren't the greatest. I have friends who went to the hospital (they were too late) and they found out that 'collided' is the wrong word to use. The "other vehicle" was a semi. They were driving a little hatchback. This was a death that rapists and child molesters deserve.
“This accident was most definitely weather-related,” he said. “The weather conditions were terrible. We had a complete whiteout and several inches of snow and the plows were not out yet.”
I didn't know the driver nor anyone else in the car, but that sounds about right. She was, at heart, a happy, effervescent person. She dressed up as Ed from Cowboy Bebop. She was always the little kid sister whom we'd harass, whose hat we'd steal, whose sexuality we'd mock--I mean, who's straight in a performing arts school?
For the first time ever in her life, I believe she was content with anything and everything. She was doing what she wanted to do with life, things were looking good in her future, she was in a wonderfully awesome relationship with a guy she loved, and good times were had all around. (via a friend's LJ)
She was nearing the five month mark with her first real boyfriend. She went to a community college, but she was happy about it. She got a job at the airport, and finally had enough cash to move out of her parent's house. She had gotten accepted to an Art Institute the week earlier, and people think that she was on her way to celebrate with some friends she had up north.

I don't really know what to say. She was the kind of person who found emotion awkward; if she couldn't make you feel better with a happy dance or a jocular rib, she felt out of place. I'm sure she hates reading her friend's LJs now, but then again, she'd also make a comment about how "what am i? Chopped liver?" or something along those lines if attention wasn't paid. And attention must be paid. It's a difficult line.

I'm posting a song I think she'd like. She was more of a JPop, bouncy techno sort of person, but she liked some raucaus angry chick rock, too. This song is a ballad by Bikini Kill, the founders of the riot grrrl movement in the early nineties. It's the song Kathleen Hanna wrote when her best friend from high school died. I think it's somewhat fitting.

RIP.mp3 (Rest in Pissedoff-ed ness)
I can't say everything about it
In just one single song
I can't put how I feel in a package
And sell it back to everyone

But wait
There's another boy genius whose fucking gone

I hope the food tastes better in heaven
I know there's lots of rad queer boys up there
I hope everytime they talk to you
They know that they're lucky to be your friend

Cuz look
There's another boy genius whose fucking gone

And I wouldn't be so fucking mad so fucking
Pissed off if it wasn't so fucking wrong
It's all fucking wrong
It's not fair- It's not fair
It's not fair

But no one said life was easy
Yeah, but no one said-no one said that
Nothings supposed to happen, right?
No, no one told me anything
To prepare me for fucking this

There's another boy genius whose fucking gone

Don't tell me it don't matter
Don't tell me it don't matter
Don't tell me I've had three days to get over it
It won't go away
It just won't go away

RIP Allyce



(See you SpaceCowgirl
Sometime, Somewhere)
Here lies a most ridiculous raw youth, indulging himself in the literary graces that he once vowed to eschew. Now he just rocks out.